Friday, January 21, 2011

Gauchos en la Doma

Or in a very lose translation to English, we could say Cowboys in a Rodeo.  Except that its not a rodeo, and a Gaucho is not exactly a Cowboy.  Still with me? 

In class I use this layout as an example for a double layout.  When I made it, the store had just received 'wood paper' and I got started.  It punches crisp and clean, it does not curl when glued and it holds ink well as long as it is set, otherwise the ink bleeds.  The grain and coloring of the wood is very appealing.  It was the perfect medium to get a 'nature' theme going.  Pulled the pictures of a Doma and matted those on wood paper with another layer for accent.  Only the picture of the race (I reeeeeally like that picture) got a mat of alcohol inks (lettuce) swirled and air shot to create striations.  I found a background that looks like tooled leather and built my pages on those...  No need for a lot of text because the pictures told the whole story: agility feats.  Highest straight-up jump, fastest horse, etc. giving me the opportunity to use bulleted text on raised tags.  I distressed a bit the smaller journaling block and the tags with Ranger's Vintage Photo Distress ink.  Straight from the pad to the edge of the wood and set.  Great effect!


2 comments:

  1. Love it. Has Tommy seen this. I can bring it to him when I go to Argentina next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the effect of the race...blurry yet you can still make it out.

    ReplyDelete