Thursday, January 20, 2011

Smile for me

My daughter has a picture of Marilyn Monroe taped on the wall above her desk.  The actress is looking straight at the camera with a teasing look and great smile, almost saying -"Oh yeah, I can do anything I put my mind to it"-  just enough to inspire a college student to reach for higher goals (I can only hope...).  I like the attitude Marilyn has in the picture, so when I came across a rubber stamp with a hint of her image I had to buy it and try something new.  In this piece, I dropped Ranger's alcohol ink (currant) on a square glass surface, added Pearl/metallic mixative and let the ink play around the glass.  Then, with a dropper I put 3 drops of Isopropyl alcohol (91%) in the middle of the square.  It seemed to 'travel' outward and created little textured ridges that left just enough completely cleared glass in the middle.  Perfect size for the face! A blast of the heat gun evaporated the alcohol and then using archival ink I stamped the face.  Applying the same inks to the frame completed the great copper effect; a few fibers trapped between the glasses give the impression of the famous wavy platinum head.


1 comment:

  1. I love it mom. very creative. glad to turn you on to Marilyn =)

    ReplyDelete