Friday, January 21, 2011

UTEE pool for Clio

This piece was very easy to make.  A polymer clay little goldfish named Clio.  A pool to hold her... that is a simple rectangle with edges, but I used a color progression (Skinner blend) to give the impression of deeper water on one side.  Then the fins... paper thin and about 1.5" for the tail and a little smaller for the other fins, veined and edged them (although the edge did not come out the way I wanted... scissors are not my friends).  Baked those separately and once the fish was assembled, I filled the pool with Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel and started to melt it with a heat gun.  Once it puddled, I set the fish in the middle and added more UTEE.  3 minutes in the oven finished the job and Clio got her water.  I opened the oven door and let the piece cool for 30 minutes before handling; the UTEE is like molten wax, burns, blisters, and you cannot lift it off of carpet (trust me on that one).

No comments:

Post a Comment